The credit for this Apple Funnel Cake recipe goes to NummyForMyTummy.com. You can get the full version of their recipe here.
I know there are lots of gluten-free and even Paleo Funnel Cake recipes. The type where you drizzle batter straight into hot oil and sprinkle with powder sugar. Ooooh I love funnel cakes.
Did you catch yourself drifting into funnel cake land too? It’s my happy place.
2 granny smith apples, curled
¾ c. tapioca starch
Palm shortening for frying
½ c. coconut sugar
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside
- Using spiral slicer machine, create apple curls (or slice into thin sticks)
- Coat apples with tapioca starch
- Place coated apples in strainer and gently shake, removing excess tapioca starch
- Place palm shortening in a deep skillet or fryer and heat oil to 375•
- Drop ½ of the apples into the skillet, creating a funnel cake look
- Fry for 1 minute or until golden brown, flip and fry another minute
- Remove from oil and place onto paper towel and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture
- Repeat with the remaining half
- Eat while hot!
What's your opinion?